Saturday, March 27, 2010

I hate geography... Sheesh! Is that so hard to understand?

Its been a very slow month and goodness, am i glad its going to be over.

5th March 2010... A day I will never forget. Yes, I was giving my first board exam and it was driving me crazy. Finally what I had been studying for the whole year round and I was still unsure about my preparation. To be honest, it was only geography that I was worried about. That subject had been a pain since 6th grade. And the fact that I had hated geography was pretty evident because I hadn't done half my course or the most important chapters. Haa.. Hard to believe but yes, its true. I remember getting calls the night before from nervous best friends, a "motherly" boyfriend (xD) , a father far away, strangers, elders.. everyone I could think of.

"Don't worry. My blessing are with you. You've done what you had to. Now just do your best. I'm not expecting anything now. No pressure. Just do what you have to for yourself. Not for me or your mom. " No pressure?

"You haven't done geography? Are you out of your mind? Its your board exam man. You promised me you'd work hard for it. " Sounds like my mom, but that was one of my best friends.

"You're leaving four chapters of geography? *laughs* Why? Just read them once. They're simple. *laughs again* You're not serious are you? *laughs again*"

Here's my response to that. "You think I'm kidding? I'm leaving that subject. I can't do it. I just can't. Every time I look at the book, I yawn or make myself maggi! Give me a break. Anyway, I'll lose just ten marks. I've done three chapters and the maps pretty well. So shouldn't be too bad. "

"Please Please PLEASE PLEEEASE, do those chapters. They're the most important. A question will definitely come. Just read through them once. Just stare at the pages for really long and READ! Listen to me. Just read through them. JUST READ. You'll get it. You're not that dumb that you won't understand. You'll regret it tomorrow. If you get 14 instead of 10 if you study for 2 hours, you'll have nothing to lose." Yeah I know, it was good advice but I wasn't in any mood to listen.

However, I was still worried. I walked all the way to my mother's bedroom literally in tears because I was such a nervous wreck.

"Mom, I haven't done 4 chapters of geography and I don't want to do them. I can't. I've tried. But I can't do this subject." Okay, I was in tears.

"I can't believe your crying! Don't cry. You can't do geography so don't do it. 'F' IT! I don't care. As long as you get the rest of the paper right."

Was that my mother? What was she saying? I just looked at her face.

"Are you serious?" The expression in my voice was blank with shock, just like my face.

"Haan Haan. I don't mean it any other way. Leave it and sleep early. Just come to bed. I don't want you fainting tomorrow. Nahin hota toh nahin hota. Chhodo. Kya farak padega. Mujhe pata hai everything will be fine. Kyon chinta karti ho? I'm not worried so why are you?"

My face was blank but it lit up.

"If you're being sarcastic, tell me now. I don't understand sarcasm."

"Arey? I'm not being sarcastic. I know you hate the subject. And there are things you're not meant for. And geography is one of them. FUCK IT! Do the rest."

Wow, talk about a cool mom. Yikes!

The next morning. I swear the nervousness was at its peak. I was about to lose my head. I couldn't eat breakfast and thats something I never do.

"Shreeya just read out that last chapter of geo please. I just want to have an idea."

"Sure sure. Anything. Tell me. This one right here? Okay. Lifelines of the Indian Economy. We all have large markets and a system of transport... "

Okay, so i was doing the chapter wasn't I?

In the car, music was playing and I was hyper. I was surprised all my talking didn't effect my mom. I felt like smacking myself so hard because I was annoyed with myself. She just smiled at my poor jokes. I laughed hysterically. I don't know why!

Seeing the crowd of parents seeing their children off, students with teekas on their forehead making their way inside the centre, I felt like turning the car around and going home.

"Accha beta, go now. I have to get home. Shreeya is alone. You'll do well. Don't worry about a thing. Just remember Baba once and everything will be fine."

Sai Baba.. My only hope. Please, just give me what I deserve and grant me good memory to just write down what I've prepared well. Help everyone.

I sat down at my desk in Room No. 11. I was the last person to reach. I looked around. People were about to break their pens with their grips.

"All the best.. Best of luck.. You too... " People were holding their thumbs up and wishing me. My response was my nervous smile. "Thank You. Wish you the same" Too formal but whatever, thats what I said.

"All the best... wish me too."

I turned around. Oh god! It was that annoying face.

"All the best, All the best."

She turned around and did the same with 5 other people.

It was then I realized why she was doing that. Remember 5th grade? When people said that if you wished people 'Good Luck' it came back to you and you got luckier. Well, I guess she went back to 5th grade. That explained the two thumbs. Hahahaha XD GOODNESS! GROW UP GIRL.

Reading time had started and I just looked around. I didn't, couldn't read the paper. I knew I would get nervous and forget alot by the time I started doing the paper. But the last five minutes forced me somehow to look at the geography questions. I solved the map first. I had done that atleast. Then I moved on to the 4 markers. For two minutes I thought I was dreaming... Shitt! This is good. Everything is from the chapters I've done. I can get 14 in geography. Holy crap! Could I get luckier? No way. No waaaaaay!

It was a good paper after all. Not too bad. I had left one four marker and messed up a two marker. In geo obviously. But there I was expecting 10. And there I was telling my mom, "Sexxbomb paper man!!"


No comments: